Saturday, February 8, 2014

For The Better...

The impact of words goes far beyond just that moment.

They can last a lifetime. They can change, hurt, inspire, and encourage someone. 

Some words are forgotten. Some replay in our minds over and over and over again.

Looking back at my life, I wonder which words have been the most uplifting and the most discouraging. Who spoke those words, and did they have any idea of the effect they would have?

I can remember the first time that someone said that they didn't know how God could possible love a screw up like me. That sharp, stabbing feeling came like a sword to my heart. The first time someone ever told me I wasn't wanted, or that I couldn't be their friend... Painful words hurt and last a long time.

But true, encouraging words are also sources of power. They make the heart joyful. They brighten our day. Sometimes, they can change someone's entire world.

I remember the day that a close friend told me that I was beautiful in the eyes of Christ. The moment that someone I didn't even know said I encouraged them daily (when I was at my lowest point).

Then there are the words that come from quotes and songs that speak so deeply into the soul.

Words can inspire, encourage, hurt and destroy someone.

When did words make the biggest difference in life? At what moment did words encourage or empower you the most?

When did words tear you down or hurt you?

Feel free to share your stories here. It's awesome to hear how God uses others to encourage you, or unfortunately hurt you...

Lets strive to be people who encourage, not destroy. Build up, not tear down. Lets be a generation that uses words to uplift and inspire our community and world. People won't help but notice.


In Christ,
Callie


Listening to: Words By Hawk Nelson

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you were told that negative lie. And I'm glad it was later followed up by a positive Godly person. If it hadn't happened that way, you may have never known you were a daughter of a King :)
    I am blessed having known you... and you know I've told Zach I want him to be as strong as you are in God. That was several years ago. Even back then, you knew God loved you, and we all know you are a beautiful person, inside and out.
    Love you!
    Delle

    ReplyDelete